Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Rosy bourke

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Rosy bourke

Postby Milestone90 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi, I bought a handfed bourke from a breeder, but the bird is is scared of my hands.
He will not step up easy and I need to know the best way to tame him.
Probably food(spray)
Thanks
Last edited by Milestone90 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Milestone90
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Peach Face - Love bird, Rosy bourke parakeet
Flight: No

Re: Rosy bourke

Postby Wolf » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:31 pm

May I ask how old this bird is as well as how long you have had him? What is his diet?

I normally have a lot more questions than this but will probably get to them at a later date. I normally recommend that for the first month of having your new bird that you spend a lot of time with just talking and singing to him. At the point that you brought him home he lost everything that he was familiar with and found any security with. So the first thing to do is to reassure him and get him accustomed to you being there for him. They are never alone in normal conditions from the time they hatch until they die. At first it is the parent birds that take care of and teach him. But he does not have this, you are now both mother and father to him and he looks to you for everything. He is scared of everything at this point as he is both alone and in unknown territory which is like a death sentence in the wild. So talk to him, sing to him, don't reach into his cage except to clean it and change the food and water. Watch him from the corner of your eyes and try to understand not only his vocalizations but his body language as well. The body language include body posture and how the feathers lay on him to whether his eyes are pinning or not. This is when you evaluate his diet and start on improving it so that he gets to eat a healthy diet and not just seeds or pellets which will give him kidney, liver and possibly heart disease. This is a good time to learn what his current favorite foods are so that you can hold one or two back for treats.
I don't know how much you do or do not know about parrots and want you to know that I mean no disrespect to you by my current approach, I just want to be thorough for the birds best interests.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby liz » Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:49 pm

He is not wild. He is scared. He doesn't need tamed. He needs comforted.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Milestone90 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:15 pm

Hi again, he is 9 weeks old and on a diet of seed and soon other fruits and vegetables I've had him 2 weeks.
And yes I do know good amount on birds I have had many just not a rosy bourke.
But thanks.
Milestone90
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Peach Face - Love bird, Rosy bourke parakeet
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:17 am

He is still very young and is still scared. So I would be patient for at least another week making sure that I keep my hand movements slow when around him and then start working with him a couple of times a day for no more than 15 minutes on target training and step up. Perhaps you will find this link useful to you.viewtopic.php?f=11&t=227
The bourke parrot is a pretty mild mannered and usually calm parrot, calm enough that it can normally be placed in the same aviary as canaries and the milder finches and such. Another name for them is night parrot, this is probably due to the fact that they are most active very early in the mornings and shortly before dark. The rosey Bourke is a color mutation that is often also referred to as Opaline. Just a tidbit I picked up that you might be interested in if you didn't already know it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:02 am

They are also aviary parrots and not companions so, most likely, this is a parent-raised bird which has not imprinted to humans - thus the 'fear' reaction.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training