Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Strange Biting

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Strange Biting

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:41 pm

I have had this green cheek conure for close to 6 months now, and he seems to have this weird biting problem. I can understand the biting when someone tries to grab him, (need help on that too) but he nips at my finger even when he's just sitting there. It doesn't hurt, but it's rather annoying. I can only describe it like a cat giving you a "love bite." Is there anything I can do to get him to stop, and make him less skittish of my hands also? My other bird lets me hold him, but I guess this one isn't quite as friendly.
Grayson
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conures
Flight: Yes

Re: Strange Biting

Postby Wolf » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:04 am

This nibbling on your fingers and hands is called beaking and is a very normal behavior for a parrot. Their beak is their primary tool for exploring the world around them. They examine texture and the strength of the item being beaked, they examine its taste and a whole host of other information this way. They also preen you with their beak which they think of as a favor to you. I just ignore it until they reach the point of testing how hard they can bite it and then tell them " no bite" and place them down, This will over time let them know how hard they can and can't bite down.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Re: Strange Biting

Postby Grayson » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:19 pm

Okay, thanks! I will try that. I must be over-thinking this if it's that simple.
Grayson
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conures

Return to Taming & Basic Training