Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Can't even begin training- Neither bird can be separated!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Can't even begin training- Neither bird can be separated!

Postby gmgallen » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:49 pm

I have two six-year-old cockatiels that I have decided to start training. Although I have never attempted to train them before, they do not bite and tolerate stepping up. The problem is that I try to bring either bird more than ten feet from the cage, they begin screaming until they're reunited. They are clearly a bonded pair. One is male and the other is female, but they are not mated, if that makes a difference at all. I have read that once basic training is established, I can at least train them side-by-side. My question is, how can I even begin to start training them? Is there an effective way to separate them for a short period that won't result in screaming?
gmgallen
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Can't even begin training- Neither bird can be separated!

Postby Wolf » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:06 am

Is there an effective way to separate them to begin training them? No, not really. I also would not count on them not being a mated pair if they are male and female and reside in the same cage.
I see no reason that you can't begin to train them, you may just have to be more creative and patient. I would start with target training them in the cage. I would set up a small training table next to their cage so that they can see each other. It is very probable that they will distract each other during your training sessions but it is just one of those things that you work with. I would also work a little more on the step up and step down requests to improve them.
Read this link viewtopic.php?f=11&t=227 It was actually written to be used with a single bird but you should be able to see what is being done and work with both of them as needed.
If you are patient, consistent, persistent and perhaps a little creative then you can do this.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby gmgallen » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:22 am

Thanks for your insight. It's a relief that I will be able to work around this obstacle. And thanks for that link; it's really informative.
gmgallen
Parakeet

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:34 am

I would also recommend you go very, very, very slowly because they lived very happily with each other for 6 years and training them now is a big upset to their lives.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby gmgallen » Fri May 22, 2015 5:58 pm

Just an update for anyone who's experienced a similar problem: I got around this issue by using two distinct clickers that make a different sounding click. I use a specific clicker for each bird and they quickly learn to ignore the other clicker and respond to only their own. Basic training has been a breeze, because they realize that they're in competition with each other and really chase the target stick. This is especially great, considering one bird is far more timid.
gmgallen
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Fri May 22, 2015 11:12 pm

I read this earlier and meant to reply, but got distracted by other events and just got back to it. I am glad to hear that you got things worked out and that the birds are responding so well. They are very smart and amazing things can actually be accomplished when we take the time to listen to them and cooperate with them. Thanks for sharing this with us. I would love to hear more about them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training