Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Fischer's lovebird day 1

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Fischer's lovebird day 1

Postby od94 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:09 am

Hello Wolf!
Yes the bars of my new cage are safe for my bird. If they were not I wouldn't have bought the cage :) so no problem with my bars hehe!

Yes ,he will stay inside,in my room.actually I wanted to place him outside because of my mother lol she hates animals and she wanted him out. But she will get used to him,specially when he will get cutter !

I noticed a thing that my parrot will obey as a maximum when he is hungry.. I won't base my training on that,but I hope that with time he will get used to me .For example when i tell him UP : Because he is hungry he does it from the first time,when he is not i need to give the command many times and sometimes he won't. I hope it won't be like that always,it is a bit annoying.
he arrived 1 week ago alias last tuesday so patience patience! He already improved a lot! :) day 1 i was not able to approach his cage!
Thank you wolf for your help and knowledge! I really appreciate your help!
od94
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Fischler's lovebirds
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:29 am

You should not be training only one week after you got him. You need to bond with him BEFORE any training takes place and that does not happen in one week or two or three. A baby should NEVER go hungry. NEVER! Plus, a parrot will never do a trick because he wants to please you, it will always require a reward, the trick is to use a high value item instead of hunger.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby od94 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Hello Pajarita :)

You might have misunderstood me. It is not in any cases my intention to hunger my bird not at all. I am providing Mac the best food i can,wolf helped a lot.My bird is served in the morning a fresh fruit and vegetables as for lunch he has whole grains. But between this meal and the dinner meal (seed mix) around 5-6pm he is hungry again and looking for food that is what i meant when i feed him seeds mix around 7-8pm he even doesn't eat it all. But once he eats his dinner,his day is over he is gone to sleep like a real baby.I will never HUNGER my bird, I can'tcommit such crime! Wow hehe

Oh! I didn't know that i couldn't train him now :s i already teached him playing with the ball and getting into a tube lol i will go easy on him . But he is really cute he follows me all over my room!
Thank you for your help guys! :)
od94
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:09 pm

You have just gotten him so he is scared of you and everything around him, but the fact that he is willing to trust you enough to step up at all this early says a lot, but Pajarita is correct don't worry about training for at least the first full month, there will be plenty of time for training later. This does not mean that there won't be anything to do as you have a lot to do. You need to evaluate his diet and adjust it, you need to spend a lot of time with him and learn to read his body language correctly and that is harder to do than it is with a dog or cat as even the way he holds his feathers is important in learning to communicate with him.
He needs to acclimate to his surroundings and to you and the sound of your voice. You need to reassure him that al is well so he can not be fearful, so you should talk to him as if her were your best friend ever and sing to him, they love singing.
These will help with learning his body language.
http://littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/ ... guage.html
http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww15eii.htm
If he learns that you like him and you don't try to force him so that he can trust you, I am sure that in short order that you will find that getting him to get off of you willingly will be a bigger issue than getting him to step up ever was. Be patient and work on building your relationship, your friendship as well as understanding him and his needs.
Never use hunger as a training aid, treats are more like if you try to do this for me I will give you a little of your most favorite food, the special stuff. Not well you will do this or I will wait for you to get hungry enough to do it. The treat is more like, you tried to do this for me so here is something special just for you. Thank you for trying this for me.
By the way it was written I also misunderstood it, thank you for clarifying it for us.
Give him the whole grains for breakfast as well and forget about lunch, just make sure that you give him enough food for all day long. I do it this way. I give them a fresh fruit, vegetable and a leafy green first thing in the morning, the about an hour later I feed them their breakfast which is called gloop it consists of whole grains, vegetables and white beans and lentils and/or other legumes. the mix is basically 50% cooked whole grains and cooked vegetables and 20% cooked white beans, lentils and/ or other legumes. Look for more on it in the Diet, nutrition and health section of the forum. If you use the search box and type in gloop it will bring up everything that is there on gloop. And then for dinner, which is served around 5:30 pm right now, I give them their seed mix. I remove the seeds when they go to sleep for the night.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby od94 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:27 pm

Hey Wolf! :)
Thank you for your friendly and helpful reply! :)
you guys are really great.

Thanks for the links I am checking them and I will check the feeding section also.

Deal I will work on gaining his full trust before continuing any training.

Talking about food,I am checking lots of subjects and receipts and ingredients for the gloop I will try to add new stuff and see what he likes and eliminate the grains he doesn't touch.

Thanks again!! :) :)
od94
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:21 pm

Don't get in too big of a hurry in eliminating any of the grains except for possibly rye as there is evidence that lots of birds don't care for it. It is not uncommon for a bird to not like a certain food one day and crave it the next. It is very common for them to love a food for weeks and then refuse it until it is not offered and to get upset because the want it back.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby od94 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:21 am

Deal! :D Thank you Wolf! :)
od94
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:26 am

He's too young for an adult diet yet. He needs soft food served fresh twice a day as well as a seed dinner. He should always have grains to eat (lovebirds are granivores) so no more just veggies and fruit breakfast, please. What grains do you want to eliminate and/or add, exactly? We might be able to help you with that.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby od94 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:05 pm

I will try to get these grains and make a new gloop and see what he likes and what he doesn't:
white beans, lentils, whole wheat, barley, quinoa and oat groats and kamut
he is eating from the gloop I am making but still very little,I will mix with some seeds as adviced hopefully he will get used to them :)

Thank you guys for your help!!
Here is a picture of his cage :

hebergeur gratuit

Since he is a clipped parrot I made him these stairs so he can leave and come back to his cage without my help.. Anyway when he will be able to fly again I am thinking not to clip him again,it's unfortunate to "disable" flight mode lol on parrots.. that's what bird is all about :(
od94
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Fri May 01, 2015 5:49 am

I could not tell anything about what you are using for perches for him, but I personally don't like those water tube things. The space for then to get a drink is too small. I did try them for my parrotlet and for my budgies, but if given a choice they will always go for a water bowl. You might also consider getting him a bird bath.
I do like your ladders, though. I think they are cool.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training