Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Fischer's lovebird day 1

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Fischer's lovebird day 1

Postby od94 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:50 pm

Thank you so much wolf for your reply!

This is what I did yesterday, with what I found at home: whole wheat, quinoa and lentils.
I cooked them until soft on the outside but still hard on the inside and try to hand feed him,the whole wheat was a big yes yes the quinoa also he ate,the lentils he ate but seems to like the least.
I feed him as you told me in the morning the fresh stuff.then an hour later the cooked stuff+seed mix.and then for dinner the mix seeds.But from what I understand there should not be continuous seeds all day long in front of him? 24/24?(in other words,other than the doses and diet that you recommended,should seed be always present?)

téléchargement de photos
I tried to place a bit in his feeding container but he didn't touch any.. I will try to mix it with seeds.
And I got a seed mix today,enriched with vitamin.I also got few toys for him and I finally got some sticks that hold lots of seeds on it I believe using honey?(for birds of course) I will use it as treat for my training. And I got a bag of Hemp seeds,I realized that the seed that he is feeding on are the famous Millet Spray seeds,I will remove them tomorrow and try to stick to your schedule.

As for training! He finally accepted to go twice on my finger but after that he went back to biting me a bit.. but it's okay we will get used to each others and understand each other,and I hope that I will be able to make him understand that my finger is not a bad thing.

téléchargement de photos
od94
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Fischler's lovebirds
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:20 am

Lentils, beans and other legumes should be cooked well done. If he is eating the grains and lentils mix them together. About 1/4 cup of lentils with 1 cup of mixed whole grains. These things should be mixed in the right ratios as soon as possible, but it does take a little time to get them to eat as they should, because they were not taught these things. Other than the seeds that are mixed with this food there should not be any seeds available for him. The reason is that seeds are high in fat and protein and if given a choice they will just eat the seeds.
As to his biting your finger, most parrots do a thing that is called beaking and it is sort of the same as biting but without the ouch factor. They do this to explore everything around them as well as to learn how hard to bite on you. They preen you in much the same manner as it is a courtesy to preen the bird next to you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby od94 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:38 am

Hello wolf!
I hope you are having a great week-end! Deal i got it this time!

One more question lol, my bird just left his cage and stood in front of the balcony window i believe he is seeing his reflection he understand that this is only his reflection? Or should i cover the glass or something? I read that mirrors should not be place with a single lovebird it might cause him to go aggressive and fall in love with his reflection. I.I placed him back over the cage,and he seems fine he is not obsessed with the glass.
Thank you! Have a greaaat weekend! :)
od94
Cockatiel

Postby od94 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:32 pm

Hello!! :)
I am here to post some updates! Mac is doing great!
I am feeding him as you told me.and he is accepting the homemade food in general.

As for my other plans,tomorrow I am going to get him a big cage,and It will be placed on my balcony,my balcony is not on ground floor,so I don't need to worry about any cat there.
The temperature are from ~22-27 these days here(night-day) So I think it is okay. He will stay in his cage as long as I am not home,when I am home he will be out of his cage in my room. :swaying:

That's all for now :) for now he learned to up on my finger but he is still afraid of being too far from his cage. PATIENCE PATIENCE.. :thumbsup:

Thank you again! and have a greattttttt week!
od94
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:47 pm

Cats can climb and so your bird may still be at risk from them, but you are there and are better able to say whether or not a cat could climb up to your balcony. Another predator that I would be concerned about would be hawks or other predatory birds, I would also be wary of crows and ravens and similar birds. The temperature sounds good but you will need to introduce your bird to the balcony slowly as it is another area that is unknown to it and so it is likely to scare your bird especially at first.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:00 am

Keeping birds outdoors is great because of the sunshine but there is also the risk not only of predators, as Wolf mentioned, but also of disease from wild birds as well as a sudden change in weather.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby od94 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:05 pm

Hello guys! :)
Thank you so much for your replies!
I got a new cage finally! The best one was a 50*40*65cm,bigger than this dimension has bars spacing too large for my bird,they seems for big parrots.I checked many stores and got this one as the biggest one,the pet stores even laugh at me that I want such big cage for 1 lovebird.. pfff

After second thoughts I think I will keep it inside,it is better.

But you as parrots keepers for many years.. Do you keep your parrot out of cage all day long? or you close the cage and only when you are at your room-place the bird is out of the cage?(how many hours?) does the bird still on the cage during his time out? or he is on your shoulder or next to you?
Just to get an idea how these birds should be maintained.
Wolf: your menu receipt if very effective! the bird is eating it and liking it more and more day by day!
Thank you :)
od94
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:18 pm

If the bar spacing is too large it is definitely better to keep indoors, and hopefully he won't get out of it, they can be very good escape artists.
My birds get a minimum of 4 hours a day out of their cages part of the time they are on me and part of the time on their cage or wherever they want to be. I would give more time out but I have cats and dogs in the house as well so they are only out when I can keep watch on them.
Don't forget to keep adding new vegetables to the food as he eats more of then.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby od94 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:14 am

Hello Wolf :)
I mean I didn't get a larger cage because bigger than the size I have the spacing between the bars is risky. I decided to keep te bird indoor better for him .
Thanks for the tip on how you maintain him :)
od94
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:51 am

So the spacing between the bars is not to much for him? I do agree that indoors is better for him as well, they don't like being alone especially in a new space or a large open space. I think that this has to do with the fact that having their flock with them is as much a part of their defense from predators as is flying. It is harder to focus on catching a single bird when you have 100 of them flying around you. I am happy to try to help in any way that I can.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training