Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Fischer's lovebird day 1

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Fischer's lovebird day 1

Postby Wolf » Fri May 01, 2015 5:49 am

I could not tell anything about what you are using for perches for him, but I personally don't like those water tube things. The space for then to get a drink is too small. I did try them for my parrotlet and for my budgies, but if given a choice they will always go for a water bowl. You might also consider getting him a bird bath.
I do like your ladders, though. I think they are cool.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby od94 » Fri May 01, 2015 8:00 am

Deal! I just replaced the water tube with one water bowl,even a bird bath lol the bowl is big enough to be used also as a bird bath.
For the perches,I have no idea,but I assumed it is safe because they came with the cage,they were perfect cylindrical I did made these non regular holes on them,I read somewhere that it is better for their feet. Thanks for the ladders,he will use them until he regain his wings to fly again :swaying:
od94
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Fischler's lovebirds
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Fri May 01, 2015 9:35 am

The perches that come with cages are usually either plastic or dowel rods and a perfectly round. This causes pressure spots on the birds feet because they always focus pressure in the same areas of the foot. We usually recommend that they be replaced with natural branches from a tree that is safe to the bird to chew on. Another thing that you can do is to cut or sand scallops in the dowel rods to solve the problem. I don't know that holes would help with this or not, but would not think so.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby od94 » Fri May 01, 2015 9:41 am

Hello Wolf!
The one that came with my cage were wood and I modified them from being perfect cylindrical to these to avoid the problem you told me about :)
Since they came with my cage,I think it must be safe wood for birds.I hopee
Here's a picture:

Télécharger des photos
od94
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 01, 2015 1:09 pm

You did great with the perches! But, if you can find a nice branch, use it too - because it's not only that the branches are not perfectly cylindrical, it's also that they are never perfectly parallel to the floor or even straight (which is great exercise for their legs and improves their sense of balance) plus, little branches have 'bounce' which dowels don't and that reduces impact on their joints AND, to put the icing on the cake, they have bark which birds love, love, love stripping off!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby od94 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:20 pm

I will for sure! But the problem the only tree I find around are oak and pine and according to my researches none of these are 100% safe trees for my bird,I should look for some apple trees,to see where I can find and steel some wood from them lol :lol:
mmm otherwise there is in my region grapes trees that's it for trees around my place..
od94
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Fri May 01, 2015 6:00 pm

As long as it is not pitch pine, you should be good with pine, the dowel is usually either pine or fir. Grape vines are also good wood for them. Just make sure that they have not been sprayed.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby od94 » Mon May 04, 2015 6:05 pm

Thank you wolf for your help I will try to get some nice piece of safe wood and add them to him cage,he is definitely going to use them since he can't fly or take big hops.

As you told me I am currently focusing on my relation with Mac and trying to understand his behaviors everything seems fine and going to the right direction!
Here is a picture of him today with me.

https://youtu.be/z-A0qzqNCUY
od94
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Mon May 04, 2015 6:59 pm

Looks like everything is going great. You'll regret the keyboard thing later on but it is co cute ofhim at this stage. They can be rather feisty little birds. I don't have A love bird, but I do have a parrotlet and they are similar is so many ways. My parrotlet has the attitude of a full grown Amazon packed into a 1 ounce body.
This is a great time to just play with and enjoy each others company which is exactly what your bird wants most of all in its life.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby od94 » Tue May 05, 2015 3:10 am

Oh! I will make sure not to make him used to walk on my keyboard lol.

thank you Wolf for your message!
od94
Cockatiel

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training