Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

teaching a old bird new tricks

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: teaching a old bird new tricks

Postby Wolf » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:03 pm

As far as I understand it only takes up to 20 minutes a day to give him all of the physical benefit from the sunlight that he is going to get and you could easily just take him outside of the deck in a travel cage and sit with him in the shade and have a drink while you are waiting on him and then bring him back in. It may ease his fear if you remain with him during this outside time.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby bean » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:38 am

Wow, I didnt realize so many birds were afraid of going outside. I really thought this was a problem with Bean. I thought they liked being outside, in the air and sun. Wow! Maybe the problem is I always give him a couple hours outside, thinking im doing him a favor, giving him some extra time. No wonder he is so easy to get back in!!! Now I have to find a way to get past this. I do prefer to mist him off outside, but I dont have too. I just want him to trust me and get up.
bean
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Front Amazon
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:11 am

Since Bean did not grow up outside it is another big strange place to him and strange places are dangerous places for a bird to be in so the are scared. Then you add to it the fact that you leave him alone while in the strange place and then he is terrified as you are his mate and should not be leaving him all alone to die in this strange place. Just trying to show this from his perspective as best I can. We know that he is safe and that it is just for a short time to help him but that is not how he sees this. So if you take him outside remain with him until you bring him in. It will help him with it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training