Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

how to tame my lovebird. help!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: how to tame my lovebird. help!

Postby pscindy_13 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:19 pm

I got him on March 29 it's only been a few weeks still :3

Let's see... the first day I got him I sat in front of the cage and would talk to him. The next day was Monday and I brought him with me to my mom's work so he would get used to me but it didn't go so well.... ^^" (my mom's work has a cat and dog that was hungry)

The rest that week I had to leave him at home. Talk, clean, feed, and placed my hand in the cage (just for a while to get used to my hand) then would go to my mom's work. After work (6:30pm) I would talk to him and let him out of his cage on the floor. But I noticed he was getting so sad as he would stay in his cage and do nothing

The weekend I dissided to place him on my bed and leave the cage door open and he came out and started being more happy~ . The rest of the weekend once I woke up I placed his cage on my bed and leave him till I would go to bed. I would just stand or place my hand in the direction back in the cage then place him back on top of my self.

The next week I stayed till 11am. So tamaki wouldn't be lonely so long. Come back home at 6:30pm. like always and place him on my bed to get out of his cage.

That's the rotate so far. Every once in a while I place my finger or hand as close as I can before he gets scared.
pscindy_13
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Black Masked Lovebird
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:00 pm

Ok, we still have some work to do that should help you with your bird. First send me a picture of your cage. Now do you have any place that you can put his cage that is close to head high? By this I mean that the highest perch or the top of the cage is about eye level when you stand looking in the cage. If so place the cage there and don't move the cage to interact with your bird. He needs this space, his cage, to be in the same place regardless of whether he is in it or not, it seems to help them to feel more secure and safer.
When you are going to be gone do you have a radio that you can leave on with some easy listening music on until you get back to spend time with him?
you need to come up with a better schedule for him as they like to know what is going to happen at what time every day. They do not like a lot of change. So tell me what your schedule is include times, please and let's see what we can come up with.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby pscindy_13 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:02 pm

- When I place him onthe shelf his almost eye level but still taller then me :/ same with my bed, his taller once on top of his cage.

- I could leave him on the shelf but if I do then he wont be able to come out and he wont be anywhere near me. (Across the room, self if high)

- so far the schedule has been the same. Mornings with me. Wait till I come back. Place cage on my bed to get out. Sleep.
Weekends is all day out since I'm here to watch over him all say.

- sorry but no, you guys gave me a very hard time about the cage, I don't want to be attacked again :(
pscindy_13
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:06 pm

We are not attacking you about the cage, we are trying to find you a better one as it is. We understand your situation. You would be surprised at how many times new bird owners are sold a cage that is not adequate for their bird by the people at pet stores who should know better, but only seem to care about making a sale. That is not your fault. They told you to grab your bird and terrorize him into submission as well. But if you did not suspect that the cage was too small why were you so hesitant to tell me its size, which you still have not done, by the way. It is normal to point out if a cage is too small and ask the bird owner to correct this for the birds well being, in your case you told everyone your situation and we replied that we would try to help you find a better cage, hopefully from another member who is nearby that would be willing to give it to you. Does that honestly sound like an attack to you?
Any way if your bed is tall enough that the cage is as tall as you does this mean it is a bunk bed? Do you have a flat surface below the cage that the bird could come out on if it had a ladder or something to climb on? Or do you think that might not work?
You said that during the week he has mornings with you, are you working with him then? If not could you sit and talk to him for about 15 minutes offering him a treat of his favorite food a couple of times say around 10 o'clock to 10:15? as well as in the evening before he gets dinner? I don't know why but they often respond better to two or three short sessions than to longer ones. So this is just a suggestion that might help speed thinks up. Maybe do a short session with him in the evening and then let him out like you are doing? Also see if you can find a chop stick or something similar for use in training him after he starts coming to you better. Sometimes they are scared of simple things lies a small stick and you will need to get him past being scared of it by placing it where he can see it but not too close to him as you don't want to scare him, just get him used to it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby pscindy_13 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:50 pm

Not a bunk bed, just a normal one. I place him down to where knee is cause that's the most space on my bed.I have a pillow on my bed so tamaki wouldn't fall through and that's where he hangs out sometimes to chew in it. When his on the edge of the pillow his about up to my elbow. His a crazy great claimer and can get out of his cage on his own without a latter. He uses the pillow some times to get in and out.

The cage is tall, that's why his above my head when his on top of his cage. I couldn't work on his gym today but I hope I can soon.

I don't know the exact size. All I know is that it's big for a cockatiel and it was the biggest I could afford.
pscindy_13
Lovebird

Postby pscindy_13 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:51 pm

Oh ok. I'll try it :3
pscindy_13
Lovebird

Postby liz » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:35 am

We know you are a kid but now you have a kid so we are trying to figure out how to help both of you.
There are times I get so stressed that I just don't think about things. The others have to step in and help me think. At one point it felt like they were all coming down on me and I must have been doing everything wrong. What they told me was right once it soaked in. My feathered babies are a lot happier now.
Your life is in the fast lane and you are over the speed limit. Let us help you think.
Your parents don't seem to understand what you are going through. You can tell us anything and we will each try to come up with a solution.
If you were within a two hour drive I would have brought you one of the cages I have in storage.
Don't give up on us. We are doing our best with the info you give us.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:38 pm

pscindy_13 wrote:Thanks guys~

I live in lomita California. Btw I don't believe his 6 months, I saw a video of a 32 day old lovebird that looked just like him. What's your thoughts?

Baby lovebirds have a black spot on top of their beak - this spot becomes smaller and smaller until it fades away at 3 to 4 months of age.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Pajarita » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:40 pm

As long as you continue putting your hand in/on his cage, the training will not work because this scares him/her.

I'll look in my basement and see if there is an appropriate cage that I could send to you.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:47 pm

Pajarita wrote:As long as you continue putting your hand in/on his cage, the training will not work because this scares him/her.

I'll look in my basement and see if there is an appropriate cage that I could send to you.

I thought about that but I wonder if the shipping would cost just as much as ordering a new cage.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training