Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

how to tame my lovebird. help!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: how to tame my lovebird. help!

Postby liz » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:52 am

Thank you so much for not taking offence. I don't mean to be short with you but every time I try to post a long answer it sort of disappears.

You can extend your cage size by parrot proofing your bedroom. When you are home he can be out in your cage.

I am not going to list the problem areas because there are a lot and my post will go away anyway. Search Parrot Proofing for info.

I better click on submit before I loose this one.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:57 pm

My dear, we can tell you are really trying to do your best and sincerely appreciate that and commend you for it :thumbsup: but the cage he is in is not large enough by any means. I am looking at the first picture posted where you can see the bird hanging on to the bars in the back of the cage and I can see where the back 'wall' with bars joins the solid bottom of the cage as well as the part where the slanted roof hooks on it and, comparing it to the size of the bird, it doesn't look as if it's more than 10 inches high and that is waaaaaaay too small for a lovebird or any other bird, for that matter (I would not use that cage for a single zebra finch and they are half the size of a lovie). It's a sad truth that you cannot go by what the manufacturers of cages (or any other product meant for animals) say about them. I am sure it said that it was good enough for canaries, finches, budgies and cockatiels but it's not. They don't care about an animals needs, they only care about selling a product and cheap products sell better than expensive ones so they like through their teeth.

What you can do is use it as a sleeping cage but that means either getting a flight cage for during the day or just keeping the bird out all day long which, given your lack of experience at this point in time and your age (not to put you down but just making the point that you are entirely dependent on what your parents would allow), it's not practical.

Where are you located? One of us might have a larger, old cage that you can use. Or, if we are not close enough, any chance that your parents might advance you some money so you can buy another one? (Craig's list always has used cages for sale and Freecycle would sometimes have some, too).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:34 pm

I know that it is difficult for you to read a post from me or any of us telling you that this or that is wrong or needs to be changed, especially when you are young and don't have any money to work with. But we are not a bad sort and we are willing to help you in any way that we can. As Pajarita has stated if you will give us an idea of where you live city and state would help us, we may be able to come up with a larger cage for you. We honestly do care as much about your bird as we do about our own bird. In fact I may still have a cage here that would work. Help us to help you, please.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:25 pm

If you are withing two hours from me, I am overrun with cages that came with my rescues. Put it in the info on the left. I am so old I can't remember anything.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby pscindy_13 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:56 pm

Thanks guys~

I live in lomita California. Btw I don't believe his 6 months, I saw a video of a 32 day old lovebird that looked just like him. What's your thoughts?
pscindy_13
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Black Masked Lovebird
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:07 pm

At this point there is no way of knowing for certain, that I know of. Maybe someone else can tell, but I don't know of a way.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby pscindy_13 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:58 am

Kk~

short update:

- I can't touch him still :cry:

- he now knows when I place his cage on my bed, he can get out lol. But he only stands on top of his cage tho or chews on the seems of my pillow next to me.

- when it's night time I guess his soooo tired that I can get super close to him. But idk if I should place my finger on his feet or give him a scratch on his head. advice please~

- finally have the supples to make his play stand and also be under my eye level.
pscindy_13
Lovebird

Postby liz » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:04 pm

Try to keep him at eye level. He feels safer than and hand level. The fact that he has learned when he can come out and climb on top of the cage is good. That is the first step to trusting.
Myrtle came from a very bad place. She was terrified of everything. I could not touch her and she backed up when I got near. She lived in a tiny cage for the first year of her life so I never caged her again.
My first touch was when she was at eye level, I would wiggle my finger from a distance and say "tickle tickle" while moving it toward her feet. She finally got curious to find out what that finger was going to do and stopped backing up.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby pscindy_13 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:17 pm

Oh wow!!! Poor girl, good thing you were there to help her and build trust :D
pscindy_13
Lovebird

Postby Wolf » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Although, I know how much you are looking forward to the time that your bird will step up onto your hand and allow you to touch him, you have only had him for a month and he has been mistreated and was very scared when you got him, and it takes time to trust again when you have been treated poorly. Still, I am thinking that you might be missing something in gaining his trust. For that reason tell me what his daily schedule is now and how much time you are devoting to him, and lets see what you are doing and if we can make any improvements on it.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

PreviousNext

Return to Taming & Basic Training