Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Biting our legs!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Biting our legs!

Postby sgtpepper » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:31 am

Soooo!

Now we've moved and Dino&Zaura have their own room, right next to our bedroom.
I spend a lot of time with them, even if i'm reading , even if i'm changing the pots for some plants- you get the point.

Dino ALWAYS wants to come down from the perches and be on the floor, to investigate whatever it is that we are doing.

The problem is that he suddenly panics ( for example when he gets too close to my legs and sees a bit of skin uncovered by the pants) and BITES! and we have been trying to stay still and have no reaction, but there's no result to that..and it hurts like hell!

After he bites, he freaks out, backs up, and then suddenly puffs up and bites his toenails

Someone suggested that we could stop this behavior by saying "NO!" and putting the hand in front of him.
But I think that poor Dino is already crazy and scared of humans enough, and we do not need to reinforce that.

What do you think, which is the best way to deal with this?

Thanks!
sgtpepper
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African grey
Flight: Yes

Re: Biting our legs!

Postby Wolf » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:29 am

Given the circumstances that you have given to work with, my answer would be to wear long pants when in the room with them. Also it could be that it is not his intent to bite you and this results in his backing off like he is expecting some reprimand, so I would also see if he would not step up for you and then just reassure him. He could be wanting to climb up to see what you are doing, which results in a bite to the bare skin as he has nothing else to grab onto to climb up.
Let me know if this helps at all.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby sgtpepper » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:38 am

It's not grabbing, it's an attack. Just like a snake, all of a sudden.
He panics when he sees the skin and that's why he bites(i think)..
sgtpepper
Cockatiel

Postby sgtpepper » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:41 am

We've also managed, with clicker training, to get him on our legs, but after a few seconds of being there, he realizes that he'as actually ON us, and bites
hands are still off the record, the only doable thing is giving kisses and touching his beak for 10 seconds
sgtpepper
Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:35 pm

My grays like to nest on the floor and you've stated on another thread that they have been shredding paper and cardboard like crazy so I think they are both hormonal and he is trying to protect his nesting spot from you. I've had several birds that would attack feet and legs and wearing something flowing (meaning that not only covers the legs and part of the feet but also moves as you walk) around them has always worked (try tucking a large towel that reaches all the way down to the floor around your waist).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby sgtpepper » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:03 pm

Not sure if that's the reason as I mentioned in the other thread, I think it's mostly just fear and the fact that we are in HIS room, and he is still territorial.
I've tried with all sorts of pants, but it's the same
sgtpepper
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:11 am

How about boots?
I am sure from all that they went through before you took them in and with all that you have gone through since that fear has got to be a factor in most if not all of their interactions with you. But, since it is the middle of breeding season for them hormones also must be at work here and thus the territorialness at this time. Whereas we usually say that he is protecting his nesting site ,we must remember that it ma also include the immediate area around the nest as well. And if I recall from the beginning they were wild caught and this makes the more distrustful of humans, with good reason. But it may also impact the size of the area that they consider their nesting site.
It is difficult to know what to say as we are not there to experience and/or see exactly what is occurring, but we will still do our best for you and them. I love those two birds.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:19 am

I reread the thread and someone suggested you say "NO". Save that for when you really need it. I suggest you say "no". Don't raise your voice unless it is dire emergency. For instance: Myrtle flew into the garage when the garage door was open. Without thinking I yelled "GET BACK HERE" and she did. It is like a flock warning. They may not know what is wrong but will respond to the emergency.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Taming & Basic Training