Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

First time owner here! Help me get started!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

First time owner here! Help me get started!

Postby iceicebb » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:56 pm

1. There's a ton of information about parrot training, here and in parrotwizard.com and in Youtube, and it's a bit overwhelming. My new parrot is only 6 weeks old --- should I already start training him the basics or is he too young to be taught? If yes, which basic moves should I be traning him at this point?

-- "Training" status: All I'm practicing with him is recall where I call his name and he runs towards me and then I click the clicker and then feed him his formula with a spoon, then repeat. He doesn't know how to step up yet on command, but he can occasionally do it. When he steps up to my hand it's usually luck. Most of the time he just bites on my finger.

-- Bird progress level: He doesn't eat solid treats yet. I've tried feeding him treats --- small banana bits, orange bits, and unsalted nuts --- cause I know this is what is used for training, but he won't eat it. So it's all just the bird feed formula+hot water for now. It's his first time flying yesterday too! I didn't train or command him to do it; he was just on a table and he flew up towards me with me being about a meter away.

2. Every time Larry is on my hand, he seems to struggle with balance. I first try to position him on my pointer finger, but then he'd lose his balance and move around towards my hand (sometimes palm, sometimes the area opposite my palm below the knuckles, depending on how my hand is positioned). And even when he's on my hand already, he still loses balance sometimes. Is this normal?

3. What's a good daily routine to follow? How many times should I take him out of the cage, and how many minutes should I spend with him? I literally have no idea how to take care of a pet outside of what I'm doing so far and how much quantity/quality time I should spend with the pet. I usually just feed the bird twice a day (morning and afternoon/night) and I sometimes walk him outside. I have no idea how much time I should spend with the bird or how many times he should be pulled out of the cage for bonding.

I'd appreciate help A LOT. I've been over the internet looking for a forum discussing these things and I'm so glad there is one right here! Thank you in advanced, parrot lovers!! :P
iceicebb
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure
Flight: No

Re: First time owner here! Help me get started!

Postby Wolf » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:04 am

Although this is where you should ask this type of questions, you asked these ones in your introduction and I have answered you there. You will find that you don't need to ask the same questions in more than one place, they will be seen and answered.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby iceicebb » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:58 am

Sorry! As a first-timer in both the parrot world and the parrot forums I didn't know where the right thread to post is, and yeah I guess you're right I was a bit anxious to get a response, because I'm worried I may be doing wrong stuff with my baby parrot... and based on your answer in my original post I was doing wrong stuff! :( I replied to your comment though in the other page, thank you!
iceicebb
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:36 am

We all make mistakes and you requested help early on in your relationship with your bird. I don't think that you have done any thing too drastic to the bird other than that light. And certainly nothing that can't be fixed quickly.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:18 am

My kids accuse me of doing that. I get away with it by telling them to cut an old lady some slack.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:41 pm

My dear, don't worry for one second that you are the only one doing wrong things with birds because we have all done them, and, most likely, continue doing something wrong every single day! Nobody is really prepared for taking care of a parrot no matter how much research they did beforehand so the only thing to do is to question EVERYTHING, do research (and that means go to nature and see how it's done right), never feel complacent so as to think "I now know enough" and just keep on learning and trying real hard.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training