Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

does my parrotlet not like me?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

does my parrotlet not like me?

Postby zazubird » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:48 pm

I got a parrotlet a few days ago. He seems to have adjusted well. We started training him to step up. He caught on right away as he was hand fed as a baby and is good with hands. He will step up to my sister, brother, and boyfriend but not me. This is a problem because he is supposed to be my bird. He's never bitten and is okay to be held but the initial picking him up is the problem. He runs away from me but is fine with the others. Am I the problem?please help
zazubird
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrotlet
Flight: No

Re: does my parrotlet not like me?

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:12 pm

Relax, you have only had the bird for a few days and so everything is new and strange to this bird. It could easily be that something about the others reminds your bird of the people where he / she came from. It usually takes at least a month or longer for a new bird to settle in. Also they don't care who provides the food or who cleans the cage, they give their trust and love to whomever they please even if that person wants nothing to do with them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Return to Taming & Basic Training