Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Age to begin potty training?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Age to begin potty training?

Postby Roonil Wazlib » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:29 am

how old should my amazon be before we begin potty training? I plan on using Michael's method, and won't be treat given, just praise - and not praise all the time, so it will become an expected thing. i'm hoping, because he/she will be flighted, that when he/she needs to go, he/she will just fly to the designated pooping perch, go to town, then come back to me and continue to do what ever we are doing.

If he/she poops on me or not the the designated spot, should i put him/her on the poop perch while i clean? that way they'll learn that is where they have to go if they don't want time away from me?
Roonil Wazlib
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus
Flight: Yes

Re: Age to begin potty training?

Postby liz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:22 am

I have no idea. I wear bird clothes and wipe up poop. I am just grateful that Myrtle does not poop when she flies and that Rambo walks a straight line so I know where to look.
We have laminate floors now. Carpet was too hard to deal with.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:01 am

I believe that the correct age to potty train a bird is the week following the date that they die. The reason for this is that potty training a bird can result in their death, and thus I do not do this and I do not recommend it.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:14 am

Eloquently said.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Roonil Wazlib » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:58 pm

How can it result in death? Im not planning on making my bird hold it in. If he poops every 15 minuets, he will have the opportunity to go poop every 10 - 15. It wont be on cue, it will just be the place where he/she needs to poop. How is that a bad thing?

...that was a little harsh wolf...
Roonil Wazlib
Conure

Postby marie83 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:12 pm

I personally don't feel its healthy for any animal to hold it in (even us) and even with relaxed potty training it is essentially encouraging the bird to hold it in.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Birds are basically creatures of habit in many ways and when you train a bird to go potty only in certain places then it will hold it until it can go in those places, and this is why it can cause internal complications. It has taken me several months to un train one of my birds that thought that it could not go potty in its cage. It would hold it in until I let it out and then not only was it an excessive amount it was very forceful when he did go.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Roonil Wazlib » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABOjNl0uF0Y

I was never going to use the command "Go poop" because that is asking them to poop on cue. The way i was thinking was more like the above video. Where they have spots around the house that they can poop, and will always have access to those spots, so there is not reason to hold it in, and they'll lean over time (none of this bull shit "Learn in 72 hours crap") I don't care how long it takes them to learn, i just want them to know that when they need to go, that's the preferred spot/s. And if they don't go in those spots they arn't going to get punished, just sat on a perch while i clean up the mess.

And when we are out, i'd like to teach her that if she needs to go, just be on my arm, instead of my shoulder.

Humans are potty trained, domesticated cats and dongs are potty trained. - yes, yes, birds are still wild animals, yes, yes, i know, but this is the beginning of domestication. There will come a point in life where they will be domesticated animals.

People are going to be potty training their birds. I am one of those people, Michael is one of those people. There are a tone of those people. i came here to ask about doing it in a positive way that will cause the least amount of stress and harm, to get help, rather then just plunge in and royally f up my bird by doing it too soon, or in a negative way by using the command.

But thanks for the help, guys. /sarcasm
Roonil Wazlib
Conure

Postby liz » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:53 pm

LOL You asked we answered.
liz
Macaw

BF Amazon Myrtle

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:43 pm

I tried to give you an honest answer to your question and not once did I make any accusations as to how or why you were doing it or going to do it. I just told you that I do not recommend doing this as I believe that it is not healthy for them and when you asked me why I also answered that without any accusations or judgments. I am sorry that you are offended that I don't agree that it is a good thing, I don't mind that you disagree with me as that is your right, but I do not believe that I have done anything to warrant your personal attacks, that is a response that I would expect from a child and not from an adult.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training