Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Mouth as a clicker?

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Mouth as a clicker?

Postby Hookturn » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:42 pm

I've been using a clicker in training but sometimes my buddy does something clicker-worthy and I don't have it with me. I have a treat but no clicker. In these instances I just make a clicking sound with my mouth. This started me thinking. Do I really need a clicker? Can't I just make a sound that would replace it? After all the Clicker is just a sonic cue. I would think that I could use any cue. Why not just a click from me?

Has anyone tried this? I would love to hear your thoughts.
Hookturn
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure "TJ"
Flight: Yes

Re: Mouth as a clicker?

Postby liz » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:21 pm

Yes. There was a young lady in the forum who was handicapt and could not hold a clicker. She has not been online for a while. I hope it is just that she is too busy right now.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: Mouth as a clicker?

Postby Wolf » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:43 am

I have a clicker, but the most use that it actually got was to amuse my Grey lady until she broke it while trying to take it apart. She had a grand time with it, I must admit. You can use a vocal sound, a word or phrase or even a visual cue as they don't have to be audible cues to work. The primary reason that clickers are so popular is so that you can make exactly the same audible cue every time which is nearly impossible with the human voice.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Taming & Basic Training