Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

First time buying a bird

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

First time buying a bird

Postby Evien » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi everyone! I found this website after I was researching about parrots, and this came up as one of the search results. I am relatively new to parrots, and I have a LOT of questions about them.

- What parrot is right for me? I live in an apartment with a teen son and two younger daughters, and a wife, and noise is not that big of a deal for me. I would prefer a parrot that is able to talk, is larger than a budgie, and is affectionate.

- Where to place the parrot's cage?

- What to feed the parrot? I have read so far that they should get a mixture of fruits and vegetables and seeds, but what if they don't like the healthy fruits and vegetables, like some people's parrots?

- How to create a bond between me and the parrot? This is by far the most important question I have, since I want a parrot that loves me, and I want him/her to be comfortable around me. I can give up to three hours a day with the parrot.

- How to clean your parrot and its cage? - How would you go about giving your parrot a bath, and cleaning its cage?

- Things to avoid when you have a parrot? This includes actions that I do, and the like.

Sorry for all the questions I asked, but I want to be ready for a parrot, and I want it to feel right at home with us, and it to love us. Thank you all!
Evien
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: No

Re: First time buying a bird

Postby Lizz » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:19 am

Welcome to the forum.
I joined the same way while looking for my second Amazon. It took me about 3 months to find the one that needed me the most.
The best way to find the species that is right for you is to volunteer at a bird shelter. That is the way to be close with physical contact and be taught at the same time.
You may even be chosen by one of the rescued in need of a home.
For knowledge key in search for direct information.
Lizz
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Maggie Cagney Lacy
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:05 am

Well, living in an apartment restricts the number of parrot species you can get significantly because of the noise factor (neighbors will complain otherwise).

Parrot's day cage should be placed against a wall in front of window that, ideally, would have a Southeastern exposure. Night cage should be in a dark, quiet place for a restful sleep.

Diet is a matter of opinion. I've been 'doing' parrots for 24 years and have done A LOT of research about and decided that gloop with raw produce for breakfast and a measured portion of a good quality seed mix for dinner is the best.

You don't need to 'create' a bond with a hand-fed bird. All you need to do is be patient, loving and consistent and the bird will love you. But, I warn you, you might not end up been the 'chosen' one - they are the ones that decide which person is 'their' human and there is very little you can do about it because, ultimately, it's always their choice.

They need four hours of out of cage and one of one-on-one but this is mid-morning or mid-afternoon, not at noon (they rest), not in the evening (the eat dinner and get ready to roost) and not at night (they sleep). Parrots are not easy pets to keep...

Bird will bathe on its own, most likely, but, sometimes, they like been misted. The cage gets cleaned (bottom grid scraped, paper on tray changed, sides, perches and toys wiped, clean food and water bowls) every day and, once a week or every two weeks (depends on species), you need to do a thorough cleaning (scrubbing everything).

The things to avoid could be none and they could be myriad, it all depends on the species and the individual bird.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Harpmaker » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:58 am

Pajarita wrote:The things to avoid could be none and they could be myriad, it all depends on the species and the individual bird.

I just want to emphasize the individual bird part. The birds are indeed individuals, and there are African grays that don't talk, and Senegals that don't bite, despite species orientation. If you get a baby you don't really know what it will grow up to be. One reason we recommend adopting rescued birds is that you have a better idea what you are getting.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby Lizz » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:48 pm

If you can volunteer at a bird rescue shelter it will give you hands on experience and contact with different species. You can find out what species you like and maybe even the bird that you like.
Lizz
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 8
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Tommy Maggie Cagney Lacy

Return to Taming & Basic Training