Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Now my parrot will not stop screaming??!!

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Now my parrot will not stop screaming??!!

Postby quakerboo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Two days ago I got a 4 month old quaker. He is not hand fed and is obviously very scared. If I went too close to his cage he would really scream, obviously because he was scared. So I took some advice that ive seen on here and I wont go too close, ill go to where's comfortable for him and talk.
Anyway yesterday he was at home for quite a while by himself so I left the radio on for him. When I got home I was really busy so I was In and out the room constantly. And a couple of times I would sit a couple of metres away for about 15 mins and just talk. So last night he was fine.

Anyway today I have been home all day, I had some flooring put down in my flat so I had to put him in the kitchen, as that was the only room that the flooring wasnt being put down in. I had to stay in the kitchen as well while it was being put down. So I sat a fair distance away and every so often I would talk to him but for the most part I would just sit on my phone, and for about 3 hours he was fine but for the last and 4th hour he would start doing these short high pitched bursts of screaming, even though I didnt move or do anything. It wasnt the same scream hes had when hes been scared, instead its like short half second squeaks. Anyway I assumed it was because he was getting sick of me just being there. Anyway then he was fine after i moved him back into the living room and everything was back to normal. Now im in the living room aswell sitting down watching tele, and hes doing the short loud squeaks again. I thought maybe again its me, so I put a sheet over him, then he was quiet for a bit and now hes doing it again. Then I thought maybe hes tired so I put him into the bedroom with the blind up so he can see the sun is about to set. he was ok for about 15 mins but then he did it again, so I moved him back into his normal place but put the sheet over him, so he knows im here but doesn't have to actually see me. Now hes doing it again, not constantly but every 5 to 15 mins he will do 2 or 3. I just dont know what action to take. I haven't been shouting at him, ive been trying to ignore it apart from reacting with the sheet.
Please give me some advice
quakerboo
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Now my parrot will not stop screaming??!!

Postby Wolf » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:52 pm

What and how much is he eating? How much time do you spend with him ? I know that you said he is scared but he still needs you and even though he is scared he really needs you more. Have you taken him to the vet for his check up yet? What kind of flooring was put down and were there any fumes?
I would think that he might need some soft food as he is probably hungry, try cooking a small amount of oatmeal for him or get a jar of baby food and give him some of that. If he eats that get some weaning formula for him or make him some gloop and give him that.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby quakerboo » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:39 pm

He seems to be eating fine, although I'm not sure how much he should be eating.. and I havent got him into an eating schedule yet, Ive just left food there for him. Can you advise me on an eating schedule please? How long should I leave the food there for?
I have been giving him pellets softened down with water, a little bit of fresh fruit and veg and I did give him a tiny bit of dried fruit mix but I plan to save that for treats. I will try the baby food tomorrow.

I regularly spend atleast 10 minutes just talking to him, probably once every couple of hours.
quakerboo
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:42 pm

The only time that any of my birds have nothing to eat in their cage is when they are asleep at night. I feed my birds gloop for breakfast and there is enough to last all day, plus I give them fresh veggies and a little fruit to nibble on during he day as well and then for dinner I feed them a seed mix and remove it when they have gone to sleep. That is my feeding schedule.
When you get the baby food get a veggie one and pick the one with the least additives in it.
Basically your bird needs to have 3 to 4 hours of out of cage time with one hour of it being one on one interaction. Since your bird is scared of you, this is a bit more difficult to deal with and to make happen. Perhaps you can sit with him while you open his cage for a couple of hours just before his dinner time. That way you can use his dinner as a cue that it is time to go into his cage. Is he allowing you to get closer to his cage before he gets nervous?
Where I feed a seed mix you would feed your pellets.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:23 am

I think he is depressed, lonely and scared. Talking and keeping company is fine but you can't just leave the poor animal in a cage all day long, day after day, with nothing to do and just soaked pellets for food (the good ones are VERY bland and unappetizing -I tried them). Babies need love and, even when they are scared, it's easy to convince them to trust humans. Talking on the phone, sitting a distance from him is not going to do it. Give him warm soft food (comfort) and, when he is done eating, open the cage and see if he comes out. Is the cage at your eye level or lower? Does he have a nest-like place where he can go?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby quakerboo » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:40 am

me sitting on the phone infront of him wasnt me trying to bond with him, its just what I was doing as I was shut in a small room. I have regular one on one sessions with him throughout the day in which I sing and talk to him. The cage is a little bit Lower than eye level when im standing up, but when im near him I sit on a chair which makes me exactly at eye level with him. I tried the comfort food this morning, he did really like it.. I gave him some luke warm mushed up veg and banana. Can you give me an example of a place to nest please?
Also im worried about letting him out of his cage right now until he is a little bit more familiar with me and the surroundings and also because hes still scared of me, I wouldnt have any way of getting him in. I like to hope he would go in by himself, but if he doesnt then what? I know some people have said he will go in for his dinner, but if he has food available for him all day I dont understand why he would go in his cage for dinner when he may not even be hungry?
Please give me some advice as id love to let him out but I dont want to be faced with the problem of not being able to get him back in?
quakerboo
Parrotlet

Postby Wolf » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:53 pm

Well if you are feeding him in the manner that has been described then his dinner feeding is his high protein meal and he will normally go in his cage for it. If not wait for him to go to roost and fall asleep then gently pick him up and place inside the cage. They will all go to sleep pretty quickly if it is dark and quiet.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby quakerboo » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:00 am

Also where should I go if he is flying around, as he is scared of me at the moment do you think he will panic if im in there, or do you think as long as I keep my distance and sit in one place he will be ok
quakerboo
Parrotlet

Postby Tman007 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:30 am

Quakerboo here is an idea you say you put a chair by his cage and talk to him and you are eye level with him in his cage. Does he have a perch shoulder level to you in his cage next to you? put some millet spray right through the cage make yourself something to eat and sit there telling him how great what you are eating tastes and see if he will not come over and try the millet. most small birds love millet. Just something I came up with.
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:56 am

Just sit down where ever you want and don't panic if he crashes a few times at first. Just continue to talk to him in a calm manner. Oh, when I said to just sit where ever make that any place that does not block the way to the cage door.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Taming & Basic Training