Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Re: Taming / Training

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Postby paws69 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:31 am

hi I need to know what I am doing wrong I have googled an looked on you tube however unable to find answer. I can get close enough to boo to give a treat inside cage with my hand however if I leave my hand where it was from where he took treat he will move away. if I put my hand in with no treat he just runs away. I am getting really frustrated now how do I get to step up point if all that is happening when my hand gets close is he runs away or bites it which I now let happen as before I was pulling away an told I am teaching boo to bite every time cause I pull hand away but I find I am chasing him round which isn't right either??? please help...... :cry: :cry:
paws69
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:51 am

Hi again it has been a while since your last post. I see that you are having some problems with your friend, Boo. Please tell me what you are presently doing or trying to do with him so that I can better help you. I need to see where you and Boo are.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:45 am

Have you followed any of the advice given to you by Wolf in your previous post? Because putting your hand in his cage when he, obviously, doesn't trust you or chasing him is not going to help you or the parrot and you were specifically advised to watch his body language closely so as not to impose on him which, going by your new post, you haven't been doing.

I might as well tell you that, if he is truly a parent-raised amazon, somebody with no experience or natural knack and empathy for animals has no chance to tame it much less train it. Especially if you continue to aggravate him which you must be doing because he is still a very young baby and babies never bite unless they have been proven that the person cannot be trusted. Please understand that I am not trying to make you feel bad but I am highly concerned about your parrot because, a parent-raised amazon needs somebody with experience or somebody who follows advice given (and faithfully at that!), puts the time, patience and love into it (and it is a lot of work and it will be completely thankless at the beginning and it will take a lot of time) or the parrot will end aggressive and completely unmanageable - and believe you me when I tell you that you do NOT want a male amazon (I don't know if it's a male but going by the conditions it was bred, it most likely is) like that in your hands.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:43 pm

I have found that birds are not afraid of faces only hands. Move the cage to face level if possible. Don't chase it around the cage. You are doing what he is most afraid of. Open the cage door and let him come out even if you have to entice him to come out. If he can fly he will and tire himself out. That is when he will step up. Mine know the word help and will now come to me when they need it.

Shadow and Lemon' came from a breeder who told me they were to wild to ever touch. I used the above method. It was slow but they understood help and eventually lost their fear of me. They still don't step up when I go in the cage but they will when they are out.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby paws69 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:19 am

Hi all, Thank you for your comments I am trying to get help and I just feel I am being attacked!!!. I have had parrots previously all of which where hand reared. This one however is not ! and because I am asking for help again I am not following advice? Considering Boo was not at all hand reared and that I can feed him inside the cage from fingers and more recently with it in the palm of my hand I feel I am doing ok. I want to do my very best for Boo which is why I have been asking for continued help! which is apparently wrong. I am just coming off this forum thank you everyone for your time anyway.
paws69
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:20 am

My dear, you asked for advice before and it was given to you in detail by Wolf (what to do, what not to do). Then you come back a few weeks later, post that you are still having trouble, describe what you are doing and it's the opposite of what you were advised to do. And, when I mention that fact, you claim you are been attacked! Now, if you had posted that you had done everything as suggested, were still not successful and proceeded to elaborate on the bird's reaction (or lack of) to what Wolf told you to do, that's another story and we can work on that - but what do you expect us to do when you ask for advice, not follow it and then come back and post the same exact problem you had before? Why bother asking for advice you are not going to follow?

Personally, if I were you, I would follow everybody's advice down to the letter because you might have bit more than you can chew and that's no joke when you are talking about an amazon!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Return to Taming & Basic Training