Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Older bird / new person

Discuss the methods and techniques of clicker training, target training and bonding. These are usually the first steps in training a young parrot.

Re: Older bird / new person

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:19 am

Happy to be able to help.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby KSilva » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:07 pm

Hello Pajarita, so far our yellow naped amazon has improved immensely. Her new thing is to go on top of her cage and play and hide under the sheets that are there. I wonder if she needs something in her cage so she can do the same thing or not. Thank you
KSilva
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow napped amazon parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:46 am

She is looking for a place to nest so give her one. I have four amazons, a male/female YNA pair and a BFA/YCA both females that love each other - the YNA female is sitting on an egg (they accidentaly broke the first one) inside a large cardboard box that, apparently, was good enough (they destroyed ten or more boxes before they 'decided' this one was the 'one' :lol: ) and the two females have been chewing boxes, cardboard and even the paper on the bottom of their cage like there is no tomorrow.

Now, I know that there is a school of thought that says not to give them nests or nesting material during breeding season but, if you ask me, this a misguided notion that causes them nothing but anxiety because it certainly does not stop them from producing sexual hormones or curtails in any way their drive for reproduction so why not give them what they need? Chewing/building a nest gives them release from the anxiety and satisfies their drive so the whole thing ends up being easier on them and on us, the keepers.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby TashiaGerard » Wed May 19, 2021 3:56 pm

Poor little thing, it should be in a big stress.
TashiaGerard
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 0

Previous

Return to Taming & Basic Training